What is the difference between a County Court and a High Court?

Court proceedings to recover a debt or evict trespassers can be complex, which is why it is essential to understand which processes you need to use and which court you need to use to obtain orders. While our team of certificated enforcement officers can advise on which forms you need to apply for and where to send them, to make things simpler we have outlined the differences between the County Court and a High Court here.

The local County Court

Usually, the majority of claims are initially processed with the local County Court. Local County Courts tend to deal with landlord and tenant disputes, such as processing eviction notices, recovering rent arrears and recovering debts.

A County Court Judgement (CCJ) is a stage of debt recovery that means a court has been contacted and is now responsible for dealing with the debtor. It can be received in paper or email form, and will contain a statement of the amount owed, how conditions have not been met, what the proposed payment system is (in full or via a payment plan) and a date by which the debtor must contact the court and arrange to pay.

If you successfully receive a County Court Judgement (CCJ) from your local court, you may then be required to ‘transfer up’ to the high court to obtain a High Court Writ, which can then be enforced by a certificated enforcement officer.

The High Court

The High Court is not only used to transfer judgements already issued in the County Courts; certain claims can actually be begun in the high courts. For instance, monetary claims for £25,000 or more and certain repossessions and eviction orders can be applied for directly in the High Court as these types of claims can only be enforced by certificated High Court enforcement officers.

If you need professional assistance with recovering debt or evictions, get in touch with the team at Able Investigations to find out how we can assist. Our certificated enforcement officers have a full understanding of enforcement law and can advise on the best course of action to take to recover a debt owed or recover possession of your property. Speak to the team today by calling 0345 366 0000 or fill out our contact form and we will get back to you.

Comments are closed.