What is a High Court Writ of Control?

Formerly known as a ‘writ of fieri facias’, or ‘writ of fi fa’, a High Court Writ of Control can be used to recover outstanding debts. Using a High Court Writ of Control can mean that you recover monies owed quicker than alternative methods, including a Warrant of Execution granted by the County Courts.

What does a Writ of Control allow you to do?

Should you be awarded a High Court Writ of Control by the courts, they you will be able to instruct a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO), like those at Able Investigations, to seize goods belonging to the debtor so the debt is settled. Goods seized can either be held until payment is made, or be sold at auction to cover the costs.

With a High Court writ of control, bailiffs can sell seized goods to cover the value of the debt, costs, and 8% per annum interest.

How do you obtain a writ of control?

Initially, in order to obtain a High Court writ of control, you usually need to obtain a County Court Judgement (CCJ). Once you have this, you can transfer it to the High Courts. Claims for large sums of money that are over £25,000 are automatically issued in the High Court.

When do you need a writ of control?

High Court writs of control are only required in particular circumstances, and cannot be used to recover every debt. You can only transfer claims to the High Court if the total of the monies owed is over £650 – anything under this amount can be recovered by obtaining a CCJ from your local County Courts.

If you require assistance in recovering outstanding debt and are not sure which court procedure you need to apply for, then get in touch with Able Investigations. Our experienced, professional team includes certificated bailiffs who specialise in recovering debt. Call us today on 0345 366 0000.


Comments are closed.